Monday, October 12, 2009

October Challenge: X & Y vs. The Phone

Cell phones. Can't live without 'em, and can't live without 'em. EVERYONE has a cell phone. The ability to keep in touch with family, business associates, access to email, and up-to-minute updates from TMZ.com make cell phones the must have item for modern society. Case in point: my 8 and 5 year old would clamor over Ryan when he would come over, not because they were excited to see him (let's not be crazy here) -but because they wanted to play games on his iPhone. Even kids younger than 5 get PlaySkools 'My First Cell Phone' along with pretend plastic keys to their Tonka Hummer.
This all begs the question: "How Did We As A Society Ever Survive Before Cell Phones?"
Uhhh, easy. Pagers? Pay phones? Actually, you know, WAITING to talk to the person? However, I must say I don't even know where to FIND said pay phones anymore--other than inside of a medium security penal institution (worst.boyfriend.ever). How much do payphones even cost now? $2.75? Do they have slots for credit cards?? So many questions--which I may end up finding the answer.
After a long process of elimination, Ryan and I have decided on our October Challenge. (yes, we're still talking even though I lost Recession Challenge '09-"Lindsey" is Yiddish for "one who forgives after monetary reimbursement").

OCTOBER CHALLENGE: Whoever Takes 3 Calls First Loses
The rules are really simple - no texting, no making calls or no receiving calls.
We get 3 life-lines, as I call it. 3 calls we are able to make or take.
We're able to check messages, but from now until someone reaches Unlucky #3 it's going somewhat old school. Using work phones(don't know if this even applies to Ryan. Watching kitten Youtube vids or Filipino prisoners dancing to 'I Want It That Way' does NOT constitute as work), IM'ing and emails.
All gloves are off and I've already had someone prank text him pretending to be from his bank and saying it's urgent he call them back. (To his credit, he didn't fall for it. Doubt he's the only American right now avoiding calls from their bank, am I right?)

As for me, I've been missing calls left and right today. Fortunately nothing that I can't just email or IM a response, but you know what? Bob doesn't take too kindly when he calls me for information and I don't pick up:

No comments:

Post a Comment